Dr Laura Villa
EMDR Europe Accredited Therapist & IPT Psychotherapist
A bit about me and what drives me
Learning about and supporting others has always driven me in my life and work, and the desire to learn and grow with you, my clients, still energizes me today.
My vocation as a psychologist began soon after completing my professional training in 2000, and when I moved to the UK for my first clinical psychology job. Moving countries to start fresh brought personal and professional challenges alike. Like many of you, I had to sit with and accept my vulnerabilities, as uncomfortable as they felt. I was continually reminding myself that, in the long run, making small steps towards my goals would pay off.
In my work and my personal life, I have seen many of you suffer due to issues such as illness, work-related stress, and trauma. These experiences enable me to connect and help you whether you’re a parent, an individual, a teenager, a child, or a family.
After 15 years of working in the UK, I feel I have overcome many adversities making me the solid clinician I am today. I am passionate about giving back and helping others to thrive. My approach is flexible and collaborative, and my curiosity to learn and grow as a psychologist is apparent in the variety and range of evidence-based therapies I apply today.
I am passionate about connecting with you and helping you to transform through any adversity you are facing. Helping you overcome your problems and see you flourish is what brings me joy.
Past positions and roles held in the NHS
Between 2004 and 2017 I worked as clinical psychologist in various NHS services. I provided a range of psychological interventions to people across the life-span, working in various specialist multi-disciplinary teams. On top of that, I also managed and supervised qualified clinical psychologists as well as clinical psychologists in training for the three North Thames Clinical Psychology Training Courses (UCL, Royal Holloway and UEL).
Work-related stress, trauma and interpersonal difficulties are areas of special interest.
Work-related stress – I trained in both preventive and treatment models targeting this client group. I have developed interventions aimed at both improving organisations’ capability and employees well-being. I routinely work with employees who have been off work for prolonged periods and might be in the process of returning to work.
Trauma – I am trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and have been providing trauma focused therapy for many years. I am currently working towards accreditation with EMDR Europe.
Interpersonal difficulties – I am trained in Interpersonal Therapy (IPT), a brief, attachment-focused psychotherapy that focuses on interpersonal problems and symptomatic recovery.
- Clinical and Community Psychology – University of Turin Italy
- Certificate in Psycho-Diagnostic Testing – ARP Milan, Italy
- PG/Dip Psychoanalytical Observational Studies – UEL / Tavistock and Portman
- PG/Dip Interpersonal Therapy for depressed adolescents – University of Reading
- EMDR Europe Accredited Therapist – EMDR UK and Ireland
- EMDR Level III
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – for Anxiety | Depression | Trauma by Russ Harris
- The six steps to flexibility: the ACT Matrix – by Benjamin Shoendorff
- ACT in the workplace: improving employees well-being – Contextual Consulting
Professional Bodies and Accreditations:
- Practitioner (Clinical) Psychologist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Chartered and Clinical Psychologist registered with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Associate Fellow of the BPS (AFBPs)
- Member of the Division of Clinical Psychology (BPS)
- Registered Practitioner with Interpersonal Therapy UK (IPTK)
- Member of EMDR UK and Ireland